Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Mernel

I’m speechless (well, not really- could the Great Wiki Karmel ever be speechless? Scientists universally concur: no).

As a young lad, the Great Wiki Karmel played sports with all of the kids in the neighborhood. Living just down the street, there were (in order closest to my house): Sujan, Geoff, Mike, Brad, Todd, and brothers Nick* and Jon. That was the core group that played, soccer, football, hockey, four square, “Night Games” (capture the flag, manhunt), made up athletic games (ie. full contact street tennis with a dodgeball type ball), etc. Typically, Jon, or Mernel (I’m not sure where the nickname came from), was the first or second picked, depending on the sport (unfortunately, the neighborhood kids did not recognize the awesomeness of the Great Wiki Karmel, and tended to pick me last…), even though he was two years younger than Nick, Sujan, and myself. So even at an early age (10 ish), Mernel was quite an athlete.

As many of my loyal readers know, I grew up in the same town that the Buffalo Bills stadium is in. Many Bills lived in our neighborhood: Shane Conlan, Daryll Talley, JD Williams, Chris Spielman***, Antoine Winfield**** (and his pink Escalade*****). Jim Kelly lived in the next neighborhood over. Anyway…it appears that while all of those Bills lived in our neighborhood, Mernel has a chance to be the first Bill to be from our neighborhood. As an undrafted rookie, Jon is practicing with the Bills. Though he may be a long shot to make the team, he will be a professional football player (he has an offer from the Calgary Stampeders of the CFL). **

*Nick, and I believe Brad (though I'm not positive), live in New York. Nick is also a member of the NYCBBB (actually, I'm not sure- I'll assume) and I've seen him a few times at McFadden's on 42nd street. During the season, you can watch all the Bills games there.

**Editor's note: Jon signed with the Bills. Here is his player profile.

***Editor's note: Orginally said Bryce Paup. Corrected by loyal reader Pa.

****Editor's note: Originally said Nate Clemens. Corrected by loyal reader Pa.

No comments: