Thursday, March 15, 2007

Change

According to Slate,

... the United States is introducing dollar coins, again. Earlier this month, the Treasury put George Washington's face on a golden coin, the first in a limited run that will eventually include every American president through Ronald Reagan and possibly beyond...This is the government's fourth attempt to move American spenders from dollar bills to dollar coins, after three flops that satisfied nobody but coin collectors. But these quite sensible efforts are destined to fail unless the Treasury finally does what it should have done long ago: Stop printing dollar bills.

Personally, I wish they would do away with all metal currency. I hate change. I almost always pay with a credit card when I would have to accept coins in return. They collect in a container (actually, a human skull- ask me about it if you are interested) on my dresser, never to be seen again. I only use the quarters for laundry.

What costs 5 cents these days? I could see the need for pennies, nickels, and dimes when things actually cost that much money. But today, why can't we just round $1.07 to $1. Obviously there are tax implications to this, but I think someone could figure out a way around this. I obviously don't have the most articulate argument here; I'm relying more on truthiness than fact. Anyone have a link to a good argument on the topic?

No comments: