Thursday, February 05, 2009

Buffalo Bills, Howard University, and Eritrean Food


Notice anything interesting about this mural, my loyal readers? It's a DC Ward 1 (the Official Homeward of the Wiki Karmel (is that two words, USOWK?)) mural. Let's go through the features:

The image on the left is the Buffalo Bills logo, the Official NFL football team of the Wiki Karmel. It's also the team logo of the Howard University Bison.

Howard University is where I discovered Five Guys*. I guess it's becoming something of a national sensation these days. But back in the day** a gaggle of geeks I rolls with used to go to the Five Guys near the Howard University Hospital. That is until they closed it. Leaving us very hungry one night. And forcing us to scour the area for a meal that five people would all agree to. In the end, we chose Eritrean. Very tasty. Good choice.

*I think it's horrible now. The first time I went, I told them to "go nuts"*** with barbecue sauce and jalapenos. And they did. But every time I go there now, they never "go nuts". It saddens me.**** Also, I get indigestion every time I eat it.

**I actually hate the expression "back in the day".*****

***Recently I was at the new Shawarma place in Adams Morgan and I told the woman behind the counter to "go nuts" with the hot sauce. She did. I cried. But it was still tasty.

****Speaking of being saddened by early toppings overload, the Great Wiki Karmel used to live on the Upper East Side (for a month) with FGS (Fort Worth, TX) and Mers-Nads. We went one time to a Coldstone Creamery. Twas my first time. And the dude behind the counter obviously didn't care about his job because he gave me something like 8 Reese's Cups. It was toppings overload (and awesome). Everytime I went back, I got a "normal" employee who gave me one or 2 Cups. So sad. Now I don't eat Coldstone. But perhaps that's because I'm lactarded ...

*****Back in the day, I used to say "back in the day" all the time. Now I don't.